Saturday, January 30, 2021

January Table Topper

 


Sew, here we are at the end of January already!  And my January Scrappy Table Topper is due!

First, let me tell you that I am in no way a professional quilter.  An enthusiastic quilter, I am, and I make tons of boo-boos along the way on Each. And. Every. Project.  But that doesn't stop me from starting another one - and buying more fabric!




Now this table topper is made from a couple charm packs and scraps from other projects.  I had ordered these charm packs several years ago, only to find that they were called 24 karat packs, which mean they only have 24 squares instead of 42.  I didn't know that at the time, I just thought I was getting a good deal! I know, I know, I should have read the description!  

So, I didn't know what to do with them, really.  Then I found this challenge, and voila!  A table topper was born!

I had the blue snowman print in my stash for I don't know how many years.  Probably 10 or more.  I don't know what I was saving it for!  But it is going to be the backing as well as making a guest appearance in the table topper.

I started it last week, but I have not quilted it yet.  It is ready to be quilted, but as I said, I am not a professional quilter.  I try to sew every day, but some days (especially lately) I have a ton of other things to do - such as spend time with grandkids, cooking, cleaning, doctor appointments, other sewing, knitting, cross stitching, shopping, etc., and I just haven't gotten that far on the table topper yet.  I apologize!  

After looking at all the WONDERFUL table toppers you quilters have made, I am quite embarrassed that I haven't finished this one yet.  But I will definitely try to do better in February!  I will start it earlier, and make it a priority!  

So here it is so far - and I will post a picture later of how it looks with the quilting and binding done.  I am only doing stitch in the ditch quilting on it, because, honestly, I am not good at freemotion quilting.  Yet.  I just need practice.  Lots of practice.  And probably another lifetime, because before I learn to do it well I will probably be dead. 🤣 So stitch in the ditch it is!

Here is a little bit closer view:

I used a free pattern called Gather Round Table Topper by Gigi's Thimble.  I just love everything she does!  I hope I have not done her a disservice!  Actually, I think it is quite pretty changing it up to my favorite January blues!  The pattern is super easy to follow, and her original table topper is gorgeous!  

Well, that's it for January!  Thank you, The Joyful Quilter, for this wonderful challenge!  I can't wait to finish this one and start next month's project!

I am linking up to The Joyful Quilter's Table Scraps Runner/Table Topper Challenge!  Please check out the EXTRAORDINARY toppers from this talented group of quilters!  

For now, take care, and happy sewing!

14 comments:

  1. There is absolutely NO REASON for you to be embarrassed. Your table topper is positively adorable! Thanks for taking on the Challenge and for joining in the Table Scraps Link Party on my blog. Here is the direct link to all participating entries:
    https://thejoyfulquilter.blogspot.com/2021/01/january-2021-table-scraps-runnertopper.html

    I will look forward to seeing what you will do for February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, you are too sweet! I really appreciate your kind words! I am working on it right now and hope to have it finished by Monday! You are an inspiration, and I can't wait to figure out February's project!

      Delete
  2. Like Joy said...no need to be embarrassed. After all, it’s your project. I’m not good with the free motion foot either, so for table runners etc I usually resort to straight line quilting. And I discovered the serpentine stitch on my old Bernina . It’s a dressmaker stitch that I lengthen and widen as far as I can. It’s kind of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! I guess I missed the pink fabric requirement, too! I will look and see if I have the serpentine stitch on my machine, and if I do, I'll play around with it. Thanks again for your kind words!

      Delete
  3. I love blue, and your table topper is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ivani! Thank you for your kind words! I somehow missed that it was supposed to be pink, so next month I hope to get it right! Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. Oh boy - this is a very sweet table topper you have created! Love it - and be kind to yourself - it is truly lovely. I tend to just do walking foot quilting myself.... the free motion is too taxing for my brain and my machine right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Deb! I really appreciate your encouraging words! Hopefully I will finish quilting it today. I am so looking forward to figuring out next month's project! Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it!

      Delete
  5. Great table topper! With such cute winter fabrics, stitch in the ditch will let them shine. The color part is optional in the challenge and up to you. I made my runner in purple, no pink included!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Britt! Thank you so much for your nice comment! I'm glad you made yours in purple! I hope to finish quilting it today, and when it's all finished I will post another picture. I can't wait to figure out what I'm making in February! Thanks again!

      Delete
  6. How pretty! Way to use up those 5" charms. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie! Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment! I appreciate it! I hope to post a picture of it all finished soon! Thanks again!

      Delete
  7. What a fun table topper! I had no idea they had renamed some of the packs to change the size - learned something!! and your attitude - love it - Just have fun! that is the name of the game!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Alycia, you made my day! Thank you so much for your nice comment! I still have to post a picture of the finished topper, but I am still hand sewing the binding on. I like to take my time! :) Thanks again, and have a wonderful day!

      Delete